Tuesday, September 6, 2011

SKOPJE!!!!

So this will be a bit out of order: but I AM IN SKOPJE!!!!

lol, a bit excited, can't you tell?

I arrived an hour early by bus from Sofia and then spent the day hanging with Ognen (my former Macedonian language professor) and Erin a former Fulbright student to Macedonia who now lives here working full time.  BTW- the bus:
the small one in front- it actually was more comfy than I expected with full seats and everything!

Ognen met me at the bus station, and took me to my hostel and then downtown to explore. We ate lunch/brunch at the Pilster hotel restaurant (it is on the main square and very famous). This I got a quick tour of the downtown/center part of the city, enough to orient myself there (but not much else)!

I met up with Erin at 3pm and we ate "lunch"/talked until 6:15 ish. I plan on moving in with her soon. She seems really nice and knows a bit more about Macedonia since living here for about 3.5-4 years now. She has an apartment literally right down town. It is further away from the Euro-Balkan Institute than I wanted, but after Sofia and feeling so alone, I really want to live with someone!

Ognen met back up with us and we (not Erin, she went out with friends) went to get me a Macedonian phone! So now I have a Macedonian number! lol. I'm excited. It allows me a bit of safety and security as well as communication with the world.

There are also a lot of WiFi hotspots that are free. Even if it is at a cafe and it is locked they will give you the passcode, so you can log in! I brought my Evo with me to use as a mini computer, and am able to connect all over the place. It is nice!

After getting the phone we went back to the main quay with restaurants and got some dinner. (well Ognen got dessert and I got dinner) and we watched the Macedonian national basketball team play in the EuroBasket (and win, btw)!

Then it was back to the hostel to crash and go to sleep, I had essentially been up since 4am this time and it was now 10 pm!!

The only picture I was able to take of my first day in Skopje:
this is at the fortress.

See you around the globe!

No comments: