Monday, October 31, 2011

Attempt to Make Tavche Gravche

I use attempt because I am tweaking the recipe. Since I don't like red peppers or onions or parsley, I am not including them. So this is my version of Tavche Gravche.


White Beans
1 potato, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 spoonful of red spice (when I figure out what it is exactly, I will let you know)

  1. Wash the beans and leave them in water overnight.
  2. Put the beans in a pot of water and bring to boil.
  3. Let boil for about 10-15 minutes. While cooking, this is a good time to peel and chop your potato and carrot and begin boiling them in another pot with enough water for them and the beans.
  4.   
  5. Drain beans and put into another pot of hot water!
  6. Add potato and carrot to beans. Bring to a boil again. *I did it for about 20 minutes, and they were still hard when they came out of the ove, so I would go longer*
  7. Cook until the beans are soft "but integral."
  8. Put the bean mix in a baking dish (terra cotta traditionally). Mix in a spoonful of seasoning.
  9.   
  10. Put the pan into a preheated oven at 480 F.
  11. Heat bean mixture until it starts to simmer.
  12. Reduce heat to 340 F and bake for 15 more minutes or so. Beans are done once bubbles appear on the surface of the pan (the beans shouldn't be too dry)

While doing this, I also made a apple dessert and biscuits. Figured I might as well use the oven while it is already preheated.

When done, remove and enjoy! I should have cooked the beans longer, but it is hard to do so when there is no cooking times, I should have boiled them a bit longer. We will see how it goes next time!

See you around the globe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's paprika