Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 2 in Tetovo with Jen1

On Saturday, Jen and I woke up a bit early (well, for me at least) to eat breakfast and get ready to walk up the mountain. We had bread and homemade jam (thanks Vesna and her family!) and one of peanut butter. The Jam was delicious! One was a plum base (we think) and the other was an apricot base (once again, we think) but of soo yummy!

Then we walk out and took a cab to the center where we were meeting the Peace Corps volunteers to walk up this:

Yes, that circle is where we were trying to go.

It took about 2 hours to walk up that mountain. I do acknowledge that to people who live in the Rockies or Alps, these are merely the foothills of the further mountains, however, it took us two hours to walk up and 1.5 hours to walk down and it hurt like ****. However, we got some awesome views of Tetovo:

Oh, aand their doggy Spike came with us:

We then went to lunch at Trivoli an award winning and much acclaimed restaurant and hotel in Tetovo. I had a sandwich with mozzarella, tomato, cucumber and salad.  Well, it turned out to be grilled flatbread, with cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, and coleslaw-esque “salad” with a mayonnaise based yellow sauce. While it was ‘good’, I wouldn’t eat there again unless showing people around Tetovo. The quality just wasn’t that yummy – to much mayonnaise. Maybe the food would have been better if I had been willing to shell out the outrageous prices for the pasta.

Since we were so exhausted from the super hard climb, we just went back to the school. I finished packing up, grabbed some snacks (including fresh picked apples!) and headed to the bus station. Where I bought a ticket to Skopje. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Ticket to skopje?

Cashier: Maybe *shrugges shoulders*

Me: yes, please. *confused looking smile*

Cashier: 110 denar. *takes money, hands ticket*

Me: thanks! (in head- what do you mean maybe? If I’m asking you for a ticket, that means I want the ticket! Oh well.)

I had to wait for about 30 minutes to catch the bus, but I just relaxed and ate some of my snacks. The “bus” (or rather combi, like the one I took from Sofia, but a bit smaller) was comfy and took about an hour. Then a taxi ride back home. I could have short cut the taxi and walked back from a closer distance, but was just too tired. On the bus, you can basically just ask to be let off somewhere and if it is on the way, then they will do so. Like just pull over and let you out. No joke. So while it was closer (about a 10 minute walk just by the Warrior on a Horse statue, I just couldn’t walk it. The taxi was just so worth it. ).

Then it was showering, relaxing and going to bed.

See you around the globe!

No comments: