Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Your tax dollars at work!

So, I have got loads of information for y’all!

We (Fulbright Scholars that is) received info on our pre departure orientation (PDO). Then a few days later (ie today 6/8) they uploaded the Virtual Orientation Packet. It has answers to most (almost all-
woohoo for the government!) of my questions.

The first nugget of information that I received was about our PDO. We had to book our travel to DC and confirm our place at the PDO. If we did not go to the PDO, we forfeit our Fulbrights. So a little bit of a scare tactic, but hey, I registered that same day. And booked travel. I could really get used to the whole go online, pick a flight, click confirm and have tickets without paying a dime (thus the title). {For more about the PDO, see later posts}

With the Virtual Orientation Packet, it provided information about:

  • the Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges (which included info on our medical coverage while abroad and prescriptions while abroad)
  • Fulbright Program Background
  • Fulbright Alumni
  • Tax Information (our awards are taxable)
  • Social Media Information/Guidance (about info like this blog, which I guess I should read before post, huh? oh well)
  • Regional Info (with a note- more info to come soon!)

The website also gave info for tourists- like they know how we think: hey, I'll be in DC, might as well visit some cool places! Maybe I'll go visit a Smithsonian or two after we get out? We'll see...

We ALSO got an email with more info on Macedonia, but since this post is already pretty long, I'll save that for a later post.

I'll see you around the globe!

No comments: