Wednesday, July 2, 2014

One Month In

Usually I start these “blank months in/left” with a OMG I can’t believe that it has been this long, but not this time. This time I know it has been a month, and it has felt like it has been a month.

My professor says she sees me making progress, but I don’t feel like I am making progress. I need to spend more time doing homework and applying myself, but this whole roommate thing plus the whole “the other kids don’t find the need to study so they come bug me all the time” really detracts from my ability to study.
I miss home too.

The city I super interesting and I can’t wait to keep exploring it! The people are WAY more friendly than in Moscow or St. Pete. They smile on the street, they ask politely rather than yelling at you for different change.

The food however, is not as great as in other European countries I have been in. They have to hothouse or ship in most fresh veggies and the taste is affected (much like it is in the states!). You have wide access to rice and pasta (and pirogues style things), bread, and ice cream. Everything else is a little iffy. If you cook for yourself, it is as easy as it is in the states to eat healthy, but without the wide variety of  veggies to supplement.

Another thing I have to keep reminding myself is that while I am in Russia, I am also in Asia. I’m not in Europe, so my expectations are moot. However, I do get to check off another continent off of my bucket list! (If you are counting, this leaves Africa, Australia, and Antarctica.)

Did I mention that I have a tan in SIBERIA? I haven’t had a tan since before 2011…what is this?


See you around the globe!

1 comment:

Mama said...

Home misses you too. I'm sure you're making progress. No tan since FAU? lol. hugs. ♡