Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Negotino

Last Thursday, I went to Negotino. It is a small town about an hour and a half southeast of Skopje. The population is about 15,000 according to Wiki. I traveled with 4 other women from the International Women’s Association in Skopje. There is a charity there called Poraka Negotino that the IWA supports. Poraka Negotino  was established in 2003 by a group of parents striving to create a better life for their children with special needs. They service adults however, not children. The state stops supporting special needs individuals when they turn 18.
When we went, they were having a celebration for their anniversary/disability day (? Not really sure, but we were invited). When we entered the Cultural Hall we were greeted with chocolate and a pin with their logo on it. Some of the people who attend Poraka were dressed in traditional gear.  We were then seated in the front row and saw this:




After a few minutes, a bunch of people both volunteers and attendees came out and spoke about the institute and why it is important. Then they morphed into a choir and sang Poraka’s song. They were pretty good.




Then the director came on and spoke about …well I really don’t know, she gave the speech in Macedonian!...but I’m sure it was all “Thank you for coming here today, We are very excited to have you, and we want you to enjoy the show.”



The founder’s daughter than came on and played a song on the violin.



Then there was the play! It was a traditional folk tale from Macedonia. About these two tricksters who go around lying and cheating and get away with it because they are so clever. That is what we got out of the story with some English in the booklet. Don’t know how there is moral in there but….who knows.









Afterwards there was a small cocktail reception where you could buy some of the stuff the attendees made in the Day Center. I bought a Christmas card and a necklace.

Anjie and I had talked about staying later and seeing the sight of Negotino, but since there were only 4 of us in the car, we decided not and just went back with the others!

Also, I figured out how to wear the socks and shoes they have for sale all over the place!

See you around the globe!

1 comment:

Lew said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and find it very interesting. Coincidentally, I was also attending the celebration you described so well. I am a Peace Corps Volunteer and have just begun my service assigned as a Community Development Advisor to PORAKA Negotino, the NGO which conducted the celebration. I would have liked to have met and talked with you.
Perhaps our paths will cross in the near future. If you would like to contact me, my email address is lew.hemmer@gmail.
Best wishes in your on-going research regarding NGOs.